"Black millennials are one of the first generations to push beyond [the] wealth gap to find financial success, '' writes Rianka R. Dorsainvil for a recent Op-Ed for CNBC. Black culture praises wealth, so I want to put another form of wealth on your radar.
Let's talk about Generational Emotional Health and healing from the impact of racial trauma so that we can support our children. Raising children who can identify feelings, regulate emotions, and thrive in their unique personalities is critical in taking our community to the next level.
I'm introducing you to Child Psychologist and Podcast Host Dr. Tasha Brown in this episode. In this intimate conversation, we discuss
The Impact of Post-Traumatic Slave Syndrome and its effect on parenting.
- [00:12:24] Get to know Dr. Tasha Brown and learn how this Bronx native knew that she wanted to help children from a very early age.
- [00:23:28] How Dr. Tasha and I connected and my personal experience with virtual learning, parenting, and ADHD
- [00:27:45] The stigma of Black Mental Health and why it's so difficult to talk about mental health is our community
- [00:32:29] Mistrust and the Medical community - Dr. Tasha and I discuss the elephant in the room and the barriers to acknowledging and obtaining mental health services.
- [00:46:01] The need for mental health experts in today's climate is robust. How can black patients work with mental health professionals who can't relate to your shared experience?
- [00:47:03]What is Post-Traumatic Slave Syndrome, and how does it impact the way we parent?
- [00:54:03]What do parents misunderstand about children's mental health and what can parents do to show up differently?
- [00:56:48] Teaching children about feelings and generational emotional wealth.
- [01:09:51] Important resources to help parents and caregivers manage their emotions and support their child(rens) mental health and Dr. Tasha's podcast
- [01:16:59] Work with Dr. Tasha in one of her upcoming Parenting Workshops (March 28, 2022)
Support for the Look On The Bright Side Podcast comes from:
Disclaimer: this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Connect With Me: Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | My PatreonSupport the show